5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is a by-product of the protein building block called L-tryptophan. An African plant known as Griffonia simplicifolia in botanic name produces the seeds that are used to make 5-HTP.
What are the uses of 5-HTP?
1. It helps in curing sleeping disorders and depression. Most medical professionals argue that the Serotonin contained in the 5-HTP can help you treat depression and sleeping disorders.
2. It has the ability to relieve from anxiety, fibromyalgia, migraine as well as headaches. This will prevent you from morning stiffness and pain severity. It also reduces chronic tension-type headaches in people. This will make you feel happier at the same reducing anxiety in life.
3. It also has the ability to prevent obesity, premenstrual syndrome (PMS), deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), and premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD). It has ability to suppress your food intake thus preventing you from gaining weight.
4. It also cures disorders that associate with Parkinson’s disease as well as drug allergy that may have long-term effects in your body.
How does 5-HTP work?
It works in both your central nervous system and brain by increasing the chemical serotonin production. Serotonin can affect temperature, sleep, appetite, pain sensation and sexual behaviour. Since this product helps in increasing the serotonin, most medical manufacturing companies use to manufacture products that treat insomnia, obesity, depression and other many medical conditions.
What are the side effects of 5-HTP?
This product several side effects that mainly depends from one individual to another. The main side effect that many people have experience is the eosinophilia myalgia syndrome. Most medical professionals think that this is caused by the contamination among other factors. Pharmacist are currently doing research on how to reduce this main side effect of 5-HTP.
Other related minor side effects are heartburn, vomiting, stomach pain, nausea, sexual problems, diarrhea, drowsiness, and muscle problems. Since 5-HTP increase the ability of the brain to produce serotonin chemical, this may have several medications that relates to depression. Prolonged taking 5-HTP may lead to medications such as anxiety, heart problems, and shivering.
What are the 5-HTP warnings and precautions?
The following are some 5-HTP warnings and precautions;
1. Breast-feeding and pregnancy: 5-HTP is potentially unsafe during breast-feeding and pregnancy. You need to avoid using it. The high levels of serotonin chemical may sometimes cause long-term effects to baby if no proper measures are taken. This may ultimately lead to slow growth and mental retardation.
2. Do not use 5-HTP whenever you are feeling unwell. This may raise your body temperature at the same time making your condition worse.
3. Avoid using Antidepressant drugs when together with 5-HTP. This may have long-term effects to your memory and even your health.
What are the 5-HTP interactions?
Medications for depression called MAOIs) interacts with the 5-HTP5-HTP increases serotonin chemical in your brain. Taking any medicine that which is used for depression increase serotonin. When high levels of serotonin, this could probably cause shivering, heart problems and anxiety. This could affect your life negatively if no proper precautions are taken. The medical recommendations for depression are tranylcypromine – Parnate, phenelzine Nardil and others.
I believe the above information will help you make the right decision before using 5-HTP.
Categorised as: All